Thursday, November 8, 2012

Generosity is relative

Yesterday was somewhat of a milestone for Generous Giant, we finally were able to bring together Generous Giant and Chef Tess Bakeresse to open and begin expansion on Gg's Pantry.  This has been a long time coming, something Chef Stephanie Petersen whom I also call friend, and I have been discussing and preparing for, for nearly a year (maybe longer!) As wonderful as it was to finally put into place the Chef's fabulous spice line (seriously, your mouth will water just reading the descriptions) the best part of the day was spending time with a dear friend and sharing ideas and thoughts.

One of the topics that came up during our wonderful visit was the idea of relativity.  You know, wealth is relative. I think we all accept that as fact.  What is wealthy in one part of the world may be very small means in another. But Generosity is relative too.

I was once stuck in a place where I knew I wanted to be able to give to my community, but I had no financial resources with which to do so. I knew I had a generous heart, but I feared that my financial circumstances would not ever allow me to satisfy my desire to give. And then a good friend pointed out that serving others with a happy heart was generous. That preparing a meal for another in need out of my small means was generous, that offering forgiveness to someone I had felt wronged by was the very definition of generosity!

We each have within us the capacity for living generously.  It is not simply the giving of money, though money does further the ability of organizations to do the good work they are engaged in, it is the giving of one's heart.

This Holiday season, we are going to celebrate the Giving Heart.  We hope that those of you able to give monetary gifts will do so and that our non-profit partners will benefit from your giving. But we want all our friends to know that generosity is relative to your capacity to give, and sometimes all you  have to give is your heart...a gift more generous than any dollar amount.

Love,

Gg

No comments:

Post a Comment